“I Want a Snack!”Posted on February 1st, 2007 by Alison Read 7 Comments - Add Your Own »
Every day I have the pleasure of hearing my 2.5 year old ask for a “snack.” And every time she asks me, I have to think about what I can give her. No gluten, no dairy, no eggs, no nuts. Okay, so what does that leave in a 2 year old’s food world? I’d love to say that she gladly munches away on carrot sticks and politely asks me for green beans, but just like us, she craves something more fulfilling.
Aside from fresh fruit, here are some of the gluten-free, casein-free, egg-free and nut-free snacks that she eats:
- Homemade Banana Bread
- Mini Munchies Mini Rice Snacks Plain made by Hain Celestial (has added calcium!) – update 6/29/07 – they no longer make these! we are sad.
- Tings made by Robert’s American Gourmet
- Gluten-free bread slices / rice crackers / tortilla chips dipped in hummus or bean dip
- Smoothies made with fresh fruit, juice and fortified rice milk
- Gorge Delights Pear bars
- Glutino gluten-free pretzels
- Baby food bananas (she tried it when her younger sister started eating solids, and now she thinks it’s a special treat – I think of it as “bananasauce”)
Any other ideas?