A gluten-free dairy-free egg-free birthday menuPosted on August 29th, 2007 by Alison 5 Comments »
My girls turned 1 and 3 this month, their birthdays falling 10 days apart, so we had a double birthday party for both kids and adults.
Because of my family’s multiple food sensitivities, we made all the food. While it was an exhausting endeavor, I am proud of how it all turned out. We made way too much – the party could have been twice the size, but that’s ok – lots of leftovers!
So here was our gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, and nut-free menu. Almost everything could be made a day ahead.
- Tortilla chips & salsa
- Potato chips
- Tings (like Cheetos without the cheese)
- Grapes and strawberries
LUNCH for the kids:
- Sandwiches with bread made with Pamela’s Wheat-Free Bread Mix (egg-free recipe) – some with turkey and Tofutti non-dairy cream cheese and some with jelly (the jelly ones were the favorite)
LUNCH for the adults:
- Quinoa salad
- Pasta salad made with Tinkyada rice pasta shells
- Grilled Aidell’s sausages (not all flavors are gluten-free, so be sure to check)
- Focaccia made with Pamela’s Wheat-Free Bread Mix (reheat in the oven before serving)
- 2 butterfly-shaped birthday cakes made with Pamela’s Chocolate Cake mix (egg-free version) – double layered
- Frosting made with a frosting mix and Earth Balance Buttery Sticks, and colored with India Tree Natural Decorating Colors
- Cake decorated with Let’s Do Organic Sprinkelz, and decorating sugars and sprinkles from India Tree
OTHER GOODIES (these were NOT egg-free):
- Blondies by Namaste
- Brownies by Gluten-Free Pantry
- Pan Bars by 1-2-3 Gluten Free
- Mini Lemon Poppyseed Muffins by ‘Cause You’re Special
NOTE: these extra goodies were totally unnecessary, since the adults liked the butterfly cake as much as the kids!
Think we went overboard?? Yep. Not sure I will ever do that again, but everyone loved the food and like I said… leftovers!
P.S. Thank you to both sets of grandparents and my sister for helping me pull this off. My mom (an artist, unlike myself) decorated the cake.